Saturday, August 23, 2008

.

I am almost completely surrounded by gay men right now. They are all in small t-shirts and running shorts, and they are drinking coffee and eating scones.

I had a few interesting thoughts over the past couple days. I has to do with the idea of being 'indie' or a 'hipster'. I have occasionally found myself unwillingly slipping into these categories. The original idea of being indie or independent, in my opinion, seemed more to do with rebelling against consumerism and rejecting traditional mainstream thoughts that the majority subscribe to. But recently, I get the feeling that these definitions have shifted. Identity based on consumption. I think people who identify with what they buy are strengthening the idea of consumption. I don't think there is anything wrong with buying things. But I do think that it is meaningless, and that more benefit can come to both individual identity and collective identity by giving more importance to things like patience, understanding and love.

Now, time to go shopping...

No comments: